For swimmers eager to learn the sport of synchronized swimming, SSNZ Star Program, which is inspired on the Synchro Canada one, offers progressive, step-by-step instruction and evaluation suitable for a variety of ages and abilities.
This developmental skills program offers instruction starting with basic skills and moving to more advanced techniques as swimmers progress through the levels. Swimmers will learn all of the fundamental sculls, basic figures and their parts, and be introduced to a sequence and routine component in the early levels (Stars 1-10). They will then move on to the most challenging figures and routine skill sets in the Superstar levels (on review at the moment)
On the Star Test, the swimmers have to perform in front of SSNZ Judges the elements required on the level their are sitting. The judges will have a Test Form in which they will record a score for each skill/figure a score (0 - 10) and write some feedback about the performance. Each level has a stabilised passing mark, and the swimmers can only fail up to two elements to pass the Test. For each Star level the swimmer achieves, she will get a star badge. Each Star level is represented with a different colour.
To compete at SSNZ National Championships, the swimmers must have achieved the following Star Awards standars:
12 & UNDER
-SOLO (FREE & TECH)
-DUET (FREE & TECH)
-TEAM (FREE & TECH)
OPEN FREE COMBINATION
Star 1 Requirements (passing mark 4.0)
1. Back Layout position, sculling at hips.
2. Back layout position, travelling head first, 5 m.
3. Back layout position, travelling foot first, 5 m.
4. Back Flutter Kick in streamlined position 12 m.
5. Backstroke 12 m.
6. Head up Breast Stroke / Whip Kick 12 m.
7. Tub position with flat scull, sculling at hips.
8. 310 Somersault Back Tuck.
9. Pretzel with 360° rotation.
10. Routine Skills/Transitions - Back Layout (For 4 counts), Head first sculling (4 counts), Back Flutter kick (4 counts), Back Crawl (4 strokes), Back Layout (4 counts)
Star 2 Requirements (passing mark 4.0)
1. Front Layout Position, sculling at hips.
2. Propeller 5 m.
3. Paddle Scull 5 m.
4. Side Flutter Kick 12 m each way.
5. Front flutter kick, head up, 12 m.
6. Eggbeater Stationary 20 seconds.
7. Tub position surface rotation (360° Right and Left).
8. Sailboat Alternate.
9. Front Layout Position to Front Pike Position.
10. Routine Skills/Transitions – Propeller (4 counts), side sit-up to Eggbeater, Stationary Eggbeater (4 counts), Side Flutter kick (4 counts), Front Layout (4 counts), Breaststroke (4 strokes), Front Layout (4 counts)
Star 3 Requirements (passing mark 4.0)
1. Reverse Propeller, 5 m.
2. Barrel Scull 5 m.
3. 303 Somersault Back Pike.
4. Bent Knee Front Layout position.
5. Split Position, join to Vertical Position, at ankles.
6. Surface Flamingo Position.
7. Support scull, foot first to bottom of pool 2m.
8. Freestyle, head up 12m.
9. Eggbeater travelling sideways 6m, right & left.